Ankle socks with sandals…we’ve seen this trend in photos, we’ve been intrigued by this edgy look, but is this really a trend we can pull off? This question ran through our minds when we were approached about a collaboration with BerkshireHosiery , a company that manufactures quality hosiery in the USA using the finest materials from all over the world. As we looked at their array of fun hosiery choices, we got excited about coordinating outfits with ankle socks!
Julie and I love putting our heads together to create different looks, so we had a blast shopping our closets to come up with outfits with ankle socks that we believe we will actually wear.
Here’s what we came up with and what we learned along the way about styling this trend:
1. Keep your outfit classic. With socks and sandals so near to fashion faux pas territory, it’s important to maintain a chic and sophisticated look with the rest of your outfit. We kept our color choices neutral and our styling streamlined and classic, which translates into clean lines and uncluttered silhouettes.
2. Keep your outfit simple. We both tried on intricate and patterned tops with our jeans looks, thinking that would be more interesting. But instead, it looked too busy and competed with the style statement going on with our feet. We both felt more comfortable and stylish keeping our entire look minimalistic.
3. Keep your shoe simple. Clunky wedges and extra details like bows and poufs didn’t look right with our Berkshire ankle socks. Again, it just created visual clutter and we also felt that it didn’t look age appropriate. Do add color, however! Bright colors add a fun, eye-catching element, especially when the rest of your outfit is simple.
4. Keep hemlines longer. Anything above the knee looked too little girlish or like some horrible Halloween costume–frightening! Bringing the hem to at or below the knee, however, creates sophistication and makes our Berkshire ankle socks a fun accessory.
5. Keep socks delicate. Think hosiery, not sweat socks when selecting ankle socks–thin and fine fabric will keep from bunching and will also give the best fit for shoes such as sandals or heels that aren’t normally worn with socks anyways.
After a few hits and misses, we ended up loving our fun Berkshireankle socks with sandals looks! So much of staying stylish is breaking out of your comfort zone and trying new trends. Wearing ankle socks with sandals/pumps adds a bit of edge and visual interest (not to mention warmth!) to day and evening looks.